Tuesday, December 7, 2010

No-Knead Bread - Finally

I know I am a little late on the No-Knead bread craze, but I finally gave it a shot.  I followed the recipe from SteamyKitchen.com (No Knead Bread: so easy a 4-yr old can make it!) with just a few changes.

The dough seemed firm enough after folding it with a spatula so I actually did pick it up and worked the dough in my hands for a bit, stretching the top and tucking it under to get a nice smooth surface.  I then placed it on parchment paper and set it back into the bowl for the last 2 hours.

While I have a sufficiently large dutch oven, I have my doubts about the handle on the lid standing up to the temperature in the oven.  Instead, I placed the dough on a pre-heated pizza stone (hence the parchment paper above) and poured a cup of water into a pan in the bottom of the oven to create steam.

The result?  The best bread I've had in a long time.  I could have left it in for a bit longer, and will next time, but the crust was looking so good I didn't want to mess it up!



George

No comments:

Post a Comment