Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Solar Power Experiment

About a year ago I foolishly ran the battery down in my car.  It's not been a big deal until this winter.  I don't drive much and it seems that the battery isn't holding the charge as well as it once did.  There have been a few times when it took more than one try to get the engine to turn over and the poor starter sounded like The Little Engine That Could approaching the top of the hill.

I was about to bite the bullet and purchase a new battery when I had to stop by Home Depot for something or other.  They had a display at the front of the store for a Solar 12V Battery Maintainer by SunForce Products.  I have always found solar power fascinating and hope to one day supplement my daily electrical power needs through solar or wind power.  (No, I don't have altruistic reasons, I just think it's cool technology and I like the idea of potentially getting a check someday from a utility company...)  Anyhow, the device helps maintain the battery charge when the car is not in use.  It may not work, but if it does, it will hopefully extend the life of my tired battery.

George

No comments:

Post a Comment